prep time: 15 minutes / cooking time: 1 hour / serves: 6
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, grated
- 500g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 can lentils, drained
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato paste
- Oregano and parsley, or Italian herbs of your choice
- Shiraz, half a cup
- Bonsoy, half a cup
- Brown sugar, one heaped teaspoon
- 500g pasta of your choice
- Fried breadcrumbs
- Heat the oil from the sundried tomatoes in a large saucepan
- Add the onion and sauté for 6-7 minutes
- Add carrot, mushrooms and lentils, combine gently, then simmer for 10 minutes, or until the liquid from the mushrooms has mostly evaporated.
- Add sundried tomatoes, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and herbs. Stir until combined.
- Once the sauce is almost boiling, add the Bonsoy and the Shiraz. Bring to the boil, then turn to low, cover with a splatter guard, and let gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook pasta as per packet instructions.
- When the sauce has reached a thick, rich consistency stir in the brown sugar and remove from heat.
- Serve sauce with cooked pasta, top with fried breadcrumbs.